Do you need to to evict your tenant from an apartment in Baldwin?


Since the eviction process in Baldwin is complex, it is highly recommended that you seek the advice of a Baldwin evictions lawyer as soon as possible. There are strict requirements that must be followed before a court will grant you a money judgment for the back rent owed, and a warrant of eviction to physically remove your defaulting tenant from a Baldwin apartment.

We are Baldwin landlord lawyers, and the majority of our practice deals with eviction proceedings for both residential and commercial landlords with property located in Suffolk and Nassau Counties, including Baldwin.

Immediate action is our priority. In most cases, we can commence a proceeding to evict your Baldwin tenant within 72 hours after being retained. You can make an appointment to meet with one of our Baldwin eviction lawyers in our office, or you can call and speak with a Baldwin evictions lawyer right now, and we can handle your entire matter over the telephone.

Call us RIGHT NOW and speak with a Baldwin landlord lawyer FOR FREE.

(631) 747-0356


Learn more about landlord tenant law & the evictions process in Baldwin:

The Process to Evict Your Tenant from an Apartment in Baldwin:

The two most typical types of actions initiated to evict a tenant in Baldwin are:

Non-Payment Proceedings – A non-payment proceeding is initiated to evict your Baldwin tenant because the tenant has failed to pay rent, despite the landlord’s demand for payment.  A non-payment proceeding is generally faster than a hold-over proceeding, but if the tenant pays the back rent owed on or before the court date, the Court will dismiss your case and will allow the tenant to remain in possession of the premises.  If you are willing to allow your Baldwin tenant to remain in their apartment if they pay the back rent owed, a non-payment proceeding may be the solution for you.

Hold-Over Proceedings – A holdover proceeding is initiated to evict a Baldwin tenant where non-payment of rent is not the main reason for the eviction and there is no written lease for the Baldwin apartment.  The primary goal of a hold-over proceeding is the removal of the Baldwin tenant with no opportunity for the tenant to “pay and stay.”  Hold-over proceedings generally take longer than non-payment proceedings to resolve, however even if your Baldwin tenant pays the back rent owed, you can still have him or her removed.  If you want your Baldwin tenants removed from the premises, even if they come current with the rent, a hold-over proceeding may be for you.

If you are unsure which type of proceeding is best for you,
call us now & speak with a Baldwin
evictions lawyer for free:  (631) 747-0356


The Steps a Baldwin Landlord Lawyer Takes to Evict Your Tenant:


Step 1: Your Baldwin Evictions Lawyer will Draft and Serve a Notice to Terminate Tenancy

Once you know the type of proceeding you wish to initiate, your Baldwin eviction attorney will determine what type of notice, if any, must be served on your tenant at their Baldwin apartment prior to commencing the proceeding.  The type and content of the notice and the method of service depend on many factors, including the type of tenancy, the reason for the eviction and the requirements of the written rental agreement, if any.  Because the legal requirements of such notices are extensive, you should consult with a Baldwin tenant eviction lawyer before trying to serve a notice on your own, or preferably let your Baldwin evictions lawyer handle it for you.  Often Baldwin landlords serve their own form of notice that they’ve downloaded from the internet or found in a book, which commonly has no legal effect, and only serves to delay the eviction of your tenant.  When you retain us as your Baldwin landlord tenant attorney, we will draft the proper notice to terminate the tenancy for you at no additional charge.


Step 2: Your Baldwin Evictions Lawyer Commences an Action to Evict Your Tenants

The correct forum and venue to evict a tenant in Baldwin is the First District Courthouse in Hempstead.  A notice of petition with petition will be drafted and finalized for that court by your Baldwin evictions lawyer, and filed with the court clerk. A filing fee must be paid to the clerk of the court, who will usually assign an index number at the time of filing. When you retain us as your Baldwin eviction attorney, all court filing fees are included in our fee.

The notice of petition with petition must then be properly served on your tenants in Baldwin in accordance with the Real Property Actions and Proceedings Law, and affidavits of service must be executed and timely filed with the court before your appearance date.


Step 3: Your Baldwin Landlord Lawyer Will Appear in Court on Your Behalf on the Date the Petition is Noticed to be Heard.  

If your Baldwin tenant requests an adjournment, or if the Court adjourns your matter, we will fight to have your case heard as soon as possible, and we will appear at every court date at no additional charge to you. We will conference your case with your tenant and the judge, and if necessary, we will conduct a trial before the judge to receive a court order allowing for the physical removal of your tenant from the premises in Baldwin, as well as a money judgment, if applicable.

If a trial is necessary, the landlord, or someone with personal knowledge of the facts of the case may be required to appear in court and testify.  As your Baldwin evictions lawyer, we will guide you and prepare you in advance for your appearance, and we will advise you with particularity as to each step in the Baldwin tenant eviction process.


Step 4: After Your Case is Won, Your Baldwin Landlord Lawyer Will Submit a Proposed Judgment and Warrant of Eviction to the Court.

Once your trial is over, the judge will issue his or her decision.  If you prevail, your Baldwin tenant eviction lawyer will draft a proposed judgment (both for money, if awarded, and for possession) and a warrant of eviction on your behalf, and will submit them to the court with payment of the fee for a transcript of judgment.  Drafting a proposed judgment and warrant of eviction, submitting them to the court, and paying the court’s fee for your transcript of judgment is included in our service.

You will need a transcript of judgment if you plan to enforce your judgment and have your warrant of eviction executed in Baldwin. Once submitted, we must then wait for the judge to approve and sign your judgment and warrant, and mail them to us. We will forward them to you with further instructions, typically the same day we receive it. This is the conclusion of the courtroom part of the eviction process.


Step 5: Physical Removal of Your Tenant from their Apartment in Baldwin

Usually Baldwin tenants who lose at trial vacate the premises shortly thereafter. They feel defeated, and know it’s time for them to move on. In some cases, tenants in apartments in Baldwin will still refuse to leave the premises, or simply have no other place to go, and you will have to contact the  Nassau County Sheriff’s Office to physically remove them from their Baldwin apartment. When you retain us as your Baldwin evictions lawyer, we will give you explicit instructions and guide you through your contact with the Sheriff’s office.

The first action the Sheriff will take will be to serve your tenants with a 72–hour notice at their Baldwin apartment, advising them that they have 72 hours to vacate the premises or they will be physically removed. If your tenants still have not vacated the premises at the expiration of the 72-hour notice, the Sheriff will return to Baldwin sometime thereafter and physically remove your tenants and their belongings, and return possession back to you. If the tenant causes damage to the property in Baldwin in excess of any security deposit you may be holding, you can start a new court action to recover your losses.

As you can see, the Baldwin tenant evictions process is complex, and there are strict requirements that must be followed before a court will grant you a money judgment for the back rent owed, and a warrant of eviction to physically remove your tenant from their Baldwin apartment. You need an experienced Baldwin landlord attorney on your side.  We can help you right now.


Call us today: (631) 747-0356

or E-Mail Us


To learn more about the Baldwin tenant eviction process and Baldwin Landlord Tenant Law, read our articles.